Monday, July 25, 2011

Our Black Phoebe friend


I've noticed more wild birds visiting our garden this year--this one in particular, the Black Phoebe, is a flycatcher attracted to our bees. She used to come and just perch on the fence next to the bee hive, waiting patiently and swiping a few as they entered or left the hive. I wasn't too concerned, as I figured she was culling the slow ones. And she did also eat the dead ones. In June when I photographed her, she was focused on the insects living on the flowering fennel by the greenhouse. I saw her munch a few cabbage moths (they are white, and do some damage on brassicas).
Here is another shot of her on the apple tree. I learned her identity from a UC Berkeley student, Joanna, who came to the garden to do observations a few times this past spring.
When the garden is lush, many creatures find a home here--it becomes an oasis of life in an otherwise barren paved landscape. We too need this island of beauty...

No comments:

Post a Comment